Help on caching games

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
dhstsw
Level 2
Level 2

Help on caching games

Post by dhstsw »

So, this is the problem:

-I have a 4Tb disk (D:) where all my games are stored (other data too).
-I dedicated an SSD (256Gb) for it.
-Win 10 Pro (1903).

Configuration is as follows:

L1:
OS managed memory: 512 Mb;
Individual read/write cache space: 100% on Write (i don't want games data cached in ram);
Release L1 cache on hybrid-sleep: checked.

L2:
Selected the SSD for it;
Size: MAX
Individual read/write cache space: 100% on Read.
Gather interval: default.
Everything else unchecked.

Defer write enabled (Native, 60 seconds, free cache on written and flush on sleep checked).

The problem is, when i load a game, it's data is transferred to the L2 (LD Write).
If i exit the game, reload it, it reads from the phisical HDD and not the SSD (L2Storage Read: just a few MB).
And, of course, loading isn't accelerated at all.

I'm attacching stats screencap and config export.

Edit: Tried to reset the cache content, and loaded again games and so on. It doesn't even write on L2 (only a few Mb [games are gigabytes]). :(
Of course i tried to re-do everything from zero, no results.

Any help?

(similar config for other drives and caches is working ok on the system).
Stats
Stats
Annotazione 2019-05-27 134548.png (63.14 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
Attachments
CacheConfiguration.zip
(273 Bytes) Downloaded 148 times
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Help on caching games

Post by Jaga »

It's hard to see the config you are using when it's in a .cfg file - screenshots would be much easier to decipher than a binary file. Something definitely isn't right with the L2 config, from what you're describing.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

dhstsw wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:47 am If i exit the game, reload it, it reads from the phisical HDD and not the SSD (L2Storage Read: just a few MB).
I wonder it read from Windows cache, neither the HDD nor the PrimoCache SSD cache.
According to the cache statistics, "L2Storage Write" had written about 9.26GB, which indicated that the L2 populating works without problems. Did you try the case that restart the computer and then load the same game?

PS. In your configuration, I think 60s Defer-Write latency is a little bit long with this small L1 cache.
dhstsw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dhstsw »

support wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:28 am I wonder it read from Windows cache, neither the HDD nor the PrimoCache SSD cache.
According to the cache statistics, "L2Storage Write" had written about 9.26GB, which indicated that the L2 populating works without problems. Did you try the case that restart the computer and then load the same game?
In the end i removed the cached drives, formatted the SSD in ntfs, recreated is as a cache disk, re-added the drive to be cached and it started working.
support wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:28 am PS. In your configuration, I think 60s Defer-Write latency is a little bit long with this small L1 cache.
You're right but, beside the fact that the drive is barely written, higher cache (1Tb, 2Tb) where creating weird problems to Outlook post file (wich is on that drive) - from crashing Outlook to (once) ruining the datafile itself.
With those settings it stopped having problems.

Anyway, i'm going to reduce the defer-write latency, in effect having it so high it's useless and overkill.

Thanks.