Old questions again.

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Old questions again.

Post by arfgh »

Is it that complex to put the free used space on the ramdisk, automatically, like in windows 7 and ahead, but for the windows xp ?
I cant understand why that needed feature, is out of that operative system. But surely that you can do something that perform the same, even if the OS hasnt some api that you need to do it. You did the driver, so, why you cant do that feature where it is missing ?

Also, the message boxes that appears when configuring a new ramdisk, disturbs a lot. So i want to request a red warning message in the program form, instead of the alert box.

And also, if we have a ramdisk where we have so much free space, is there a way or a feature to resize that ramdisk without to loose the content ?

thx in advance
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Old questions again.

Post by Support »

arfgh wrote:Is it that complex to put the free used space on the ramdisk, automatically, like in windows 7 and ahead, but for the windows xp ?I cant understand why that needed feature, is out of that operative system. But surely that you can do something that perform the same, even if the OS hasnt some api that you need to do it. You did the driver, so, why you cant do that feature where it is missing ?
Ramdisk simulates a physical disk which knows nothing about file systems. Windows 7 or newer introduces new protocol which can inform underlying disks which blocks are not used any more when deleting files. However, prior Windows 7, windows doesn't. It's not so simple to add such feature. Besides, Windows XP is becoming a "dead" operating system. I'm sorry that we have no plan to develop such tools.
arfgh wrote:the message boxes that appears when configuring a new ramdisk, disturbs a lot. So i want to request a red warning message in the program form, instead of the alert box.
Thanks. We'll improve the GUI.
arfgh wrote:if we have a ramdisk where we have so much free space, is there a way or a feature to resize that ramdisk without to loose the content ?
Actually this feature is similar as to shrink/expand an existing disk partition. We may support it in future, but I'm sorry that I'm not sure when it will come out.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

thx for the reply, but i am totally disagree with the windows xp question. Even today there are a lot of xp users world wide. An probably the most big number of programs and tools are on that operative system. Just being a driver developer like you are, i cant uderstand why you limitate that MUST HAVE feature. No way :( Do you plan to do the same as M$ ? to force the ppl to use what they dont want !!

Maybe you forgot that exist a xp version called x64 that can handle TeraBytes or RAM....

Edit: by the way, if you perform the ability to resize the ramdisks, there you have other way to do it on XP.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I understand but I'm sorry that TRIM feature is actually from file systems. That's why even in Windows 7, you still have to use NTFS files system to get this feature. So if Windows file systems doesn't support it, we cannot support it.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

what about a new feature based on the idea of the free size resize, dinamically. Some special feature, the result is the same. And i know that it is possible.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Yes, that is possible. We may support it in future, but I'm sorry that I'm not sure when it will come out.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

ok, i will be away expecting for that way....